10/20/09

First Day of Rehearsals

Well, today was the day! Will's first day of rehearsals for Oliver! He woke up at the crack of dawn, and was super excited. He had a backpack packed and ready to go. He packed his Nintendo DS and a few books. He had to be there at 10 a.m. ( Art took him) and he finished at 6:00 p.m. From 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. they had a "Meet and Greet." Everyone involved in the production introduced themselves...everyone!! After that Art left Will there with the other children. There is a Child Coordinator, Ms. Kate, that is responsible for the care of the children. We wondered all day how he was doing. I mean he is only six years old. Eight hours is a long time for him...especially when he doesn't know anyone. When he got home we asked him all about his day.

Mom: So, what do you think?
Will: It was fun...a little bit boring.
Mom: What did you do all day?
Will: I played "Red Light, Green Light" at lunch time. We talked about what the stage is going to look like for the show. We practiced songs and read through the whole entire show. It was a little boring. I played with my Nintendo DS at break time. I ate 4 cinamon buns and one muffin at the "Meet and Greet" and I ate one donut.
Mom: WOW! You ate a lot of junk. Where did you get it all from?
Will: There was a whole big table of food.
Mom: Did you meet lots of people?
Will: No.
Mom: What about all of the other kids?Weren't you with them all day?
Will: Yeah, I was with them all day but I didn't meet them. I asked questions to Miss Debbie ( stage manager) and I talked to Ms. Kate ( Child Coordinator) but I didn't meet  the kids.
Mom: Are you the youngest kid there?
Will: I think so.
Mom: What was your favorite part of the day?
Will: Playing "Red Light, Green Light."
Mom: Do you want to go back tomorrow?
Will: It was so boring, I don't know. I guess.

So, there you have it. He spends  eight hours at the Walnut Street Theater with about 30 other kids and he didn't "meet" any of them. He played and ate snacks. Let's hope he finds tomorrow more exciting!

No comments: